Friday, November 5, 2010

Creamy Corn Casserole

Ok, so this is for Heather who asked me for some more Thanksgiving favorites. I'll keep posting as I find them (and also when I'm not chasing my little toddler around).

The original title is actually called "creamy corn pudding", but my husband said it sounds gross. He was actually afraid to try it, just because of the name. So I now call it a casserole.



Creamy Corn Casserole
(from Paula Deen... who else?)
  • 1/2 c. plus 2 Tbsp butter, divided
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/3 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
  • 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 (1 lb) bags frozen niblet corn, thawed
  • 1 1/2 c round buttery crackers (Ritz), crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 3 qt baking dish.
In a large skillet, melt 1/2 c butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together cream and eggs. Stir in cheese, corn, and onion mixture.
Spoon into prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine crackers and 2 Tbsp butter; sprinkle evenly over corn mixture. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Makes 8-10 servings.

2 comments: