Thursday, February 2, 2012

1-2-3 Mexican Bean Dip

This is one of my most requested recipes ever.
If you're looking for a great Superbowl snack, this is it.
My husband had a friend come to town last year, and I had just made this. Hubs decided he wanted it all to himself and didn't share with his friend. I ended up having to make two the next time he had friends over. In fact, the same buddy helped me with some computer stuff, and when I asked him how he wanted me to pay him? He asked me to make this dip.
Whenever I take it to family functions, parties, etc; it's always devoured in like 10 minutes.

1-2-3 Mexican Bean Dip
(Recipe by Mary Corpening Barber & Sara Corpening Whiteford)
(sorry. no matter how great of a camera you have,
Mexican food never seems to photograph all that well... or maybe it's just me?)


Ingredients
  •  1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
  • 1 1/2 cups medium salsa
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 3/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (even if you hate mayo, don't skip this. my husband can't stand mayo, yet he can't get enough of this stuff)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed, and chopped
  • 1 cup (2 ounces) grated extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese (sometimes I'll use the "Mexican blend" instead... both are great)
  • 1 jalapeno chili, cut into rounds (about 20)
  • Tortilla chips for serving

Directions

Combine the refried beans, 1/4 cup of the salsa, the chili powder, cumin, and oregano in a medium bowl. Spread evenly over the bottom of a 9-inch round ceramic casserole dish (at least 2 inches deep) or an 8-by-8-by-2 1/4-inch glass baking dish.
Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, red onion, cilantro, and onion powder in a small bowl. Spread over the top of the beans mixture.
Combine the bell pepper and the remaining 1 1/4 cups salsa in a small bowl. Gently spread over the sour cream mixture, being careful not to mix the layers. Top with the cheese and jalapeno and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Serve with tortilla chips.

Do Ahead: This dip can be made 1 day in advance and refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment