Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Herb Roasted Whole Chicken

I made this a couple of weeks ago, and oh my goodness, it's delish.
The only thing I messed up on? I used olive oil instead of canola oil.
I know, I know. All you foodie veterans are shaking your heads at me, aren't you?
For those of you who aren't aware, cooking olive oil at a very high temperature causes smoke alarms to go off. It doesn't affect the flavor of the chicken in any way. In fact, it tasted amazing. It just made the kitchen smokey. So I learned my lesson. Follow the directions. They're there for a reason. :)

Herb Roasted Whole Chicken
(Original recipe by Ryan Detzel)

(Photo source)

Ingredients
  • 3-4lb Whole Chicken
  • Something to stuff inside the chicken (Apple, Onion, Lemon, Garlic, Carrot, etc..)
  • Canola Oil
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Fresh Herbs (I used Thyme and Rosemary)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees while you pick the herbs from their stems.
Chop the herbs. Toss those herbs into a bowl and add in your salt and pepper.
For EACH chicken you’ll be roasting, you’ll need:
* 1-2 Tablespoons of chopped herbs
* 1 Tablespoon of salt (kosher is best)
* 1 Teaspoon of pepper
Add the Canola oil to the herb mixture and stir.  Chop/slice/mash and stuff the bird with the aromatics of your choice (I used lemon, onion, garlic, and herbs).
It’s important that your whole chicken be patted dry with a clean cloth or paper towel. This will help to insure a nice crust on your chicken once it’s finished. Begin rubbing the chicken down with your canola-herb-salt-pepper mix. No need to get crazy with it. It’s just a chicken. Slide your herb coated chicken(s) into that 450 degree oven for an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes until they are golden brown and have developed a delicious crust.
Once the chickens have roasted, it’s good to let them rest for 10-15 minutes. This will allow all of the juiciness of the bird to redistribute to the right places. If you tore into it right away…all its goodness would run out and you’d be left with a dry chicken.

One chicken yields 3-4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment