Sunday, May 1, 2011

Shrimp Scampi

First, I wanted to say thanks to those who are still reading these.
I know there's no real rhyme or reason to my posts. I keep posting, just for the sheer fun of it.
I like having all of my favorite recipes all in one place and also give others the chance to try out a dish they may have had trouble finding themselves. So to all 9 of you who are following (and others who read without making the commitment), thanks for sticking around. Promise I'll try to step it up on the posting. :)

***

It's hard to improve upon a classic.
This is just a simple, but incredibly good dish that can be whipped up in less than 20 minutes.
Who doesn't love that?
This particular take on the ol' standby is from The Pioneer Woman. Love that lady.
I actually was drawn to it, mainly from the picture. I have a lot of herbs growing in our little back yard garden beds, and if I find a yummy recipe that can use any of them? Totally jumping on the chance.

Shrimp Scampi
(Original recipe by Ree Drummond)

Ingredients

  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • ½ whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
  • 4 cloves Garlic Cloves, Minced Or Pressed
  • 1 pound Large Shrimp, Peeled And Deveined
  • ½ cups White Wine
  • 2 whole Lemons
  • 4 dashes Hot Sauce (I Used Tabasco; More To Taste)
  • Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
  • 8 ounces, weight Angel Hair Pasta
  • Chopped Fresh Basil To Taste
  • Chopped Fresh Parsley, To Taste
  • ½ cups Grated Parmesan Cheese

Directions

Boil water for pasta; have it ready.
Heat olive oil and melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for two or three minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add shrimp, then stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Squeeze in lemon juice. Add wine, butter, salt and pepper, and hot sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low.
Throw angel hair pasta into the boiling water. Cook until just done/al dente. Drain, reserving a cup or two of the pasta water.
Remove skillet from heat. Add pasta and toss, adding a splash of pasta water if it needs to be thinned. Taste for seasonings, adding salt and pepper if needed.
Top with grated Parmesan and minced parsley and serve immediately.

(I happen to really love mushrooms. I'm thinking next time I'll add a few sliced baby bellas. Just for fun.)

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment