Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Latte

Yes, you read that correctly.
I made my own pumpkin spice latte at HOME for a fraction of the ridiculous Starbucks price. All I can say is thank the Lord for Pinterest. Which is where I found this.
My husband, who actually doesn't even drink coffee, was the one who first told me about the pumpkin spice blend at Starbucks. He'd been studying for school at a local bookstore where the coffee place is attached. He got one of the frappacinos and loved it. He proceeded to take me next time and make me get one. I took one sip, looked at him, and said, "You know there's coffee in this, right?"
His response? "No there's not!"
Anyways.
Every time Fall comes around, I now must have at least one before the season is over. But $5 for a drink?? Next they'll be asking for my firstborn son.

I've tried homemade drinks before... lattes, frappacinos, etc... but they never quite match the taste I'm used to. Darn that Starbucks for being so genius. So when I saw this recipe, I have to admit, I was reluctant. I'd been burned too many times in the past.
However, this one? Does NOT disappoint.
It's also vegan-friendly, if that's your thing.
It literally took me about 5 minutes to whip up, so don't worry. No jumping through hoops. You could even do this before you leave for work in the morning.

You can thank me later.
Happy Fall Y'all!!

Pumpkin Spice Latte
(Original recipe by Averie)



Ingredients
  • fresh coffee
  • 1 c milk (I used skim to cut on fat/calories, but you can also use almond milk or half and half or rice milk)
  • 1/4 heaping cup pumpkin puree (more if you really love pumpkin)
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice, to taste (I used about 2 tbsp brown sugar, but you could use a pinch of stevia to taste; or try honey, maple syrup, etc. to taste)
  • Optional: pinch of ground nutmeg, ginger, garam masala, cardamom, or other warming spices to taste
Directions
Combine all ingredients (except coffee) in a small bowl and whisk well by hand or blend all ingredients using a blender.

Optional: Warm the finished pumpkin milk mixture in the microwave or on the stovetop.

Pour 1 c of brewed coffee into a mug and pour half the pumpkin milk mixture over the top of the coffee and enjoy. (Optional: Finish by garnishing with real whipped cream/whipped topping such as CoolWhip or TruWhip; and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice/cinnamon on top).

The other half of the pumpkin milk mixture is for the refill you know you will want. If you truly don’t want a refill, refrigerate it for up to a few days and use for your next latte, in a smoothie, or drink it as is. As long as you’re dirtying dishes, why not make a little extra for refills or for later? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment