Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Low and Slow Dutch Oven Fajitas

I have to admit, I was skeptical of this one.
I've only really made fajitas either by skillet or on the grill. But the flavor combos in this recipe just seemed too good, so I had to give it a try. SO glad I did!
It's super super easy and full of flavor. Plus, health-wise, it's great! You can add as many veggies as you like. I topped mine with a little bit of cheddar jack cheese and avocado. SO good.

Low and Slow Dutch Oven Fajitas
(Recipe by Country Cleaver)

Ingredients:

  • 1-2 pounds Flank Steak
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp Cumin
  • 1 tsp Coriander Seeds (I didn't have any, so I skipped it)
  • 1 tsp Ground Pepper
  • 3 Garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
  • 1 Jalapeno, chopped
  • 1/2 cup Jarred Roasted Red Peppers, chopped
  • 1/2 Onion, chopped
  • 2 Fresh Bell Peppers, sliced
  • 8 Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas
  • Sliced lime for garnish
Avocado for topping
1 bunch Cilantro
1 Avocado

Directions:

In a dutch oven, stir together all spices, soy sauce, coriander seeds, jarred red peppers, chopped onion, jalapeno and garlic.
With half of the mixture in the bottom of the dutch oven, place flank steak on top. With remaining second half of mixture, pour over the flank steak coating it.
Place on stove over medium low heat for 5 hours, or until the meat pull apart with a pair of forks. During last hour of cooking, slice bell peppers, removing the seeds and place into dutch oven to steam and cook.
The fresh peppers will retain their structure, where the jarred peppers will be nearly indistinguishable after cooking.
Serve with warm tortillas, and any other extra toppings you like - such as, cheese, cilantro, avocado, and slices of lime for spritzing on top.
Makes 4 servings.

1 comment:

  1. I'll try this!! I got a Dutch Oven for Christmas and want to use it for everything. :-)

    ReplyDelete