Friday, October 8, 2010

Reader Request: Mac n Cheese

(photo courtesy of SouthernLiving.com)

I recently got a request for a good Mac n Cheese recipe... the "non watery" kind. :)
I knew exactly where to turn for one too. Usually, I head straight for the masters of straight-to-your-thighs type food like Paula Deen or the Neelys. But not this time. I've never actually made it myself, but I know I love it. It's my grandmother's recipe, and every time she makes it, there's never a noodle left.

Well... "recipe" is bit of a stretch.
See, the problem with the way that the older generation of Southern ladies cook is that they don't follow recipes. They just do it.

So yesterday, as she walked through the steps with me, I could tell she was literally making it in her head, trying to remember every detail. And this is the "no recipe" recipe of baked mac n cheese:

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
3 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
4 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (Tip: Shredding a big block of cheese tends to work better than buying the preshredded kind. It melts better and has a sharper flavor.)
Dash of salt and pepper

Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain [Tip: Take a spoon and stir the noodles around in the colander to get all of the water out. Otherwise, your mac n cheese will still come out too watery. Cheese and water are natural enemies. :) ]. Spread half of noodles (about 2 cups) in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded cheese on top of noodles. Layer again with the rest of the noodles. Beat eggs and milk together until smooth and well blended. Pour over noodles and cheese. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 - 45 minutes.

The trick with this recipe is to go with your gut. If you want more cheese, go for it. If the egg/milk mixture looks too thick, add a little more milk. I'm going to have to try this one myself so I can give a better review. But I promise, you'll know if you got it right. The eggs help it stick together, so it should not turn out watery.

If the above "recipe" makes you a little nervous, I did do some searching and found a couple of recipes that seem to be pretty good. Make sure to read the reviews for these. Usually it helps to read other suggestions to enhance the flavors.

From Southern Living
From Alton Brown (food network)
Another from Food Network

Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Oh that seems easy to follow...

    I love Mac and Cheese but my son does not...
    because the only Mac and Cheese he tasted was the one in boxes bought in supermarkets...
    I just don't try out other Mac and Cheese recipe 'coz they seem so complicated.

    I just know he'll love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks for stopping by! I hope he likes it! I haven't met anyone that doesn't like my grandma's mac n cheese, so let's hope it turns out well! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete