Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cookie Swap: Chocolate-Mint Cookies

There are several variations of this recipe strewn across the internet and recipe books, but this, I promise, is THE best.
My friend has made these several times when we get together, and it never fails... I always eat more than I should. So beware. They're addictive.
I got invited to a cookie swap this year, and I'm SO excited. Just another reason for me to bake and test out new recipes. I decided to ask my friend for this one, since it's such a crowd pleaser. I actually made them for my inlaws recently, and by the end of the night, they were gone. So fear not. This one will get eaten.

So here's my friend's version of the recipe...

Chocolate-Mint Cookies


(And yes, I actually took this picture... aren't you impressed??)
Ingredients:
1 Devil food cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 c shortening
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 pkg Ande's mints (1 batch=1 box, so if you are making double, get two boxes, otherwise, you don't need to get two)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix first four ingredients in an electric mixer (batter will be thick, so unless you've got some serious guns and a really big spoon, use the mixer). Roll batter into balls about the size of a whole walnut.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes. Don't overbake! Bake until they start to crack. Remove cookies from oven and let them set for a minute. Cut the mints approx 3/4. Place either a 3/4 mint or 2, 1/4 mints (get it? you'll have 1/4 pieces left over from cutting, so just put two small pieces on the cookie when you've run out of 3/4 mint pieces). Leave the mints on the cookie until melted slighty. Then swirl with the back of a spoon until completely melted. Cool.
*Tip: Pop the cookie sheet right into the freezer so the mint hardens and forms to the cookie.

1 cake mix yields approx. 40 cookies

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound wonderful! I'm thinking they are a must try this season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound yummy!!! Thank you for sharing! I am your newest follower and I am looking forward to more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are AMAZING :) making them now.
    also, new blog follower too! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete