Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Banana Blueberry Pancakes

I just have to say, I'm so glad I started this foodie blog.
It's made me try recipes that've sat in my cookbooks, binders, and boxes for years. You know what I mean. You clip or save a recipe, assuming you'll eventually get around to trying it... but for some reason, you never do. Well, this is one of those recipes.
Christmas 2009, I went to stay with my mom for a few days with my 5 month old baby (my hubby was sick with the flu, so we hightailed it outa there!). While we were there, she happened to get a new cookbook in the mail. It was full of healthy, yummy options. And of course, since I'd just had a baby, I was desperate to lose the baby weight and still enjoy food at the same time.

Useless fact about me: I love breakfast food. Anytime of the day. My favorite dinner is breakfast. It's just fun and comforting and so good. These pancakes happened to be in that healthy cookbook, and I was so excited! Fyi, I don't remember which cookbook it was (possibly a Weight Watchers?) and neither does my mom... so I can't really give proper credit.

But then I never tried them... until tonight!
I don't know why I waited so long. They're waaaayyy better than a box mix any day. And much healthier for you! I already had all of the ingredients I needed, and I'm so glad I made them.
Definitely melt-in-your-mouth pancakes.

The only change I made was the milk. The original recipe calls for skim milk, but I used whole... mainly because I have a one-year-old and was planning on sharing (um... maybe not anymore) with him. I doubt there's much of a difference, however I do wonder if they ended up a tad richer because of the whole milk? Either way, I'm pretty sure they're delicious! Add a little powdered sugar, and you've got yourself a dessert!

(I put the nutrition info at the bottom, in case you're interested)

Banana Blueberry Pancakes



Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/4 fat free milk
  • 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 fresh or frozen blueberries*
Directions
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Combine the egg, milk, bananas, and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with blueberries. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown (be careful not to make your griddle too hot - you'll end up with burnt outside, doughy inside). Serve with syrup if desired.
Yields about 14 pancakes.

*Note: if using frozen blueberries, do not thaw.

2 pancakes = 195 calories, 2g fat, 4g fiber, 6g protein, 41g carbs


No comments:

Post a Comment