Monday, January 17, 2011

Chocolate Crepes

Growing up, my brother and I had French Au Pairs (I know, it sounds snooty, but I promise, I'm not a spoiled brat. lol). My mom really wanted us to learn French at a young age. I actually did learn a lot, but without speaking it constantly, I lost most of it.

Anyway, what I do remember is the FOOD.
Freshly baked bread daily (no kidding. our house constantly smelled like a bakery). Fluffy chocolate mousse. And one of my favorites... crepes.

They were filled with everything imaginable. Chicken, eggs, fruits... the possibilities were endless.

So needless to say, when I saw this recipe on tv, I knew I had to try it.

Chocolate Crepes
(Original recipe by Paula Deen)

(photo courtesy of Food Network)

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs, large
  • 1 1/3 cups milk
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for pan (Note: This is WAY too much butter. It'll make it too greasy. I would cut it to two or three. Just play with it and see what you like.)
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • Pinch salt
(Suggestion: add a little bit of vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon to the batter for a sweeter variation.)

Directions

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add remaining ingredients and whisk vigorously until combined, small lumps are ok. Set batter aside to rest for 20 minutes.
Heat an 8-inch nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Lightly brush the pan with melted butter. Pour 1/4 cup batter into the hot pan, twirling the pan so the batter spreads out evenly into a very thin layer. Cook about 30 seconds until the crepe comes away from the sides of the pan. Gently flip the crepe over with your fingers or the help of a rubber spatula and continue cooking another few seconds. Transfer to a plate and repeat cooking crepes until all the batter is used.

Now the crepes can be filled and topped to your liking. Try whipped cream, chocolate sauce, hazelnut spread, butter, jam, caramel sauce, powdered sugar, peanut butter, fresh fruit etc.

Just fyi, the actual crepe isn't very sweet, so if that's what you're looking for, I would add sweet filling. When I made them, I spread the middle with Nutella then added sliced bananas and strawberries. I folded it, then added a little Cool Whip on top, then drizzled with chocolate syrup. SO good. :)

1 comment:

  1. I adore crepes. We had them in France and I was hooked. There is a place in Chicago called Le Creperie that I have frequented over the years. I wonder if it's still open? So good!! I get the chicken curry crepe and it's TDF!

    ReplyDelete