Friday, January 14, 2011

Y'all are going to have to excuse me for being so quiet lately. My other blog has been suffering from neglect as well. But I'm fixin' to remedy that right now. :)

Ever tried to make fried chicken at home, only to be disappointed that it just didn't turn out quite right? I'm a true Southern girl who loves her some fried chicken (in moderation, of course). And as much I like some KFC or Bojangles, I needed to be able to brag that I can cook some fried chicken. It's just one of those things I needed to do myself.
I tried so many different kinds of recipes over the years, but this one is the only one that really doesn't disappoint. The chicken stays juicy and the crust is crispy. Perfect combo. (I mean, really. Who wants a soggy chicken?)

Southern Fried Chicken
(original recipe by Paula Deen)

(photo source Food Network)

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup water
  • About 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • House seasoning, recipe follows
  • 1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
  • Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Directions

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.

*Added by me: Try a true Southern method of draining the chicken and place it on a paper bag. It absorbs the grease and won't cost you in paper towels. :)

House Seasoning:

  • 1 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup black pepper
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

1 comment:

  1. I took a cooking class one and it was to make fried chicken. Mine turned out overcooked. I would attempt it again but it's so messy!!

    ReplyDelete