Friday, August 19, 2011

Basil Butter

This summer has been awesome to the basil in my garden. Seriously, my basil sings praises to the sun, it's so happy. It's gotten a little out of control, actually.
This has left me scrounging around for new recipes to try out... something besides the obvious pasta and pesto. I found this recipe allrecipes.com the other day and had to try it out.
I love flavored butter. I mean, I love butter in general, but I especially love it when it's got a fun flavor. Whether it's apple butter, garlic-herb butter, or whatever... I'm a big fan.
This one didn't disappoint. The best part is that you can freeze it and use it again later. It'll give you that fresh basil taste in the middle of the winter. Awesome, right??
I'll definitely be making this recipe again when I need to use up the last bit of my basil before the frost hits. But you don't need a garden as a reason to try it out. Grab some basil next time you're at a local market or at the grocery store. It's worth trying it out, because you don't have to use this with just bread. Try it on chicken, fish, or cooked veggies.
The best part?
As one reviewer put it, this recipe is only limited by your imagination. You can sub the basil for cilantro and the lemon for lime juice. Use dill or chives for a different flavor. The possibilities are endless. Have some fun with it!

Basil Butter
(Original recipe by Emily Chaney.
Modified by me.)



Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley
  • 1/2 pound butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cloves minced garlic

Directions

In a food processor, chop basil and parsley. Add butter, lemon juice, pepper, salt, and garlic; blend until smooth. Drop by half-tablespoons onto a baking sheet; freeze. Remove from baking sheet and store in freezer bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment