Monday, October 3, 2011

Southern Style Slowcooker Pork BBQ

I'm a tad partial to Carolina-style BBQ (of course).
However, I've never tried to make it myself. I guess I would get a little intimidated by the thought, figuring there's no way it'd come out as good as, say, Sticky Fingers.
When I saw this recipe, I decided it was time to give it a whirl. It seemed simple enough.
Turns out, it's pretty darn good!
I'm definitely a fan, and hubs inhaled it!
Just give yourself plenty of time for it to cook. Altogether, it takes about 9 hours.

[Funny sidenote: To my horror, I realized I was out of brown sugar. And there was NO way I was going to make BBQ without brown sugar. So I raided the pantry, did some googling, and finally came up with a solution. I mixed white sugar with some dark corn syrup until I got a good consistency. It worked great! You'd never know the difference! However, I still recommend using real brown sugar if you have it. It's a lot less stressful. :)]

Southern Style Slowcooker Pork BBQ
(Original recipe by Ashley at lilblueboo.com)

Ingredients:
  • 4 lbs of pork roast (or I use 2 2lb pork roasts)
  • 2 white or yellow onions
  • 2 cups of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 cups of apple juice
  • 1 tsp of liquid smoke
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I substituted with paprika. I figured the crushed red pepper flakes were going to give it enough kick.)
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 a bottle of regular/classic BBQ sauce (about 9 oz) ...try using Sticky Fingers' "Carolina Sweet". That's our personal favorite.

Directions:

Cut up both onions. Place half the onions in the bottom of the slow cooker or crock pot. Place the pork roast in the slow cooker and top with the rest of the onions. Place half the onions in the bottom of the slow cooker or crock pot. Place the pork roast in the slow cooker and top with the rest of the onions.
Mix together 1 cup apple cider, 1 cup apple juice and 1 tsp of liquid smoke and pour over the roast and onions. Set the slow cooker to cook on low for approximately 6 hours. The roast should be ready to fall apart when you stick a fork in it.
Remove the roast and remove the liquid and onions. (Note: You can strain the onions and add them back into the pot if you like….I prefer to discard them.)
Shred the roast and add it back to the slow cooker. Mix 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 cup apple juice, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and half a bottle of BBQ sauce in a bowl.
Pour over the shredded pork and cook on low for another 2 hours. Transfer shredded BBQ to another container. I like to chop mine up a bit more before serving. Serve by itself or on bread for sandwiches.

1 comment:

  1. I love making this!! I eat mine with some cole slaw on the bun too (on top of the pork). YUM!

    ReplyDelete