Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sweet Potato Mini-Muffins

I made these over the weekend with my little guy. I had some sweet potato left over from dinner the night before, and I hate wasting food (especially healthy food!).
As a baby, Noah looooooved sweet potatoes. His hands started turning orange, he ate so many. But since starting solids, he eventually lost that love. But I swear, as soon as he stopped eating so many of them, he started getting more colds and ear infections.
I wanted to find a way to incorporate them back into his diet. But since he wasn't interested in eating them normally, I had to get a little creative. I found this recipe, and I'm SO happy with it.
As soon as they were done, Noah ate FIVE of them.
And he has no idea how healthy they are. Next time, I might try to replace some of the oil with applesauce. They have an oatmeal-cookie-like flavor, so I think the applesauce would work great.


Sweet Potato Mini-Muffins
(Original recipe by Catherine @ weelicious.com)



Ingredients
  • 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
  • 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tsp Cinnamon
  • 2 Large Eggs, whisked
  • 1 Cup Sweet Potato Puree, cooked*
  • 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 1/4 Cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F. Place the first 7 ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl whisk the remaining ingredients.
Slowly combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients just until they are combined (be careful not to over mix the batter).
Place 1 tbsp of batter in each cup of greased mini muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes.
 Serve. (Makes 30 Mini Muffins)

* To make sweet potato puree, bake sweet potatoes (or yams) in a 400 degree oven for one hour, allow to cool, slice in half lengthwise and mash flesh with a fork until smooth.
** You can place muffins in labeled freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment